Club Meeting Information
Ever wondered what the audiophile world was all about or if "tube-heads" are similar to "dead-heads?" Come meet us and find out. We are based in the Greater Seattle area but our members come from all over the Pacific Northwest. We always welcome newcomers to our meetings. Feel free to email us if you have any questions
|Times:|| Meetings are
held the first Saturday of every month (unless stated otherwise) at 1:00 PM
and last about 3 hours.
DirectionsFrom Interstate 90
Eastbound or westbound take the Island Crest Way exit and drive south. The church is less than a mile at the crest of the hill on your right. Parking in the lot to the south of the church. Club entrance is on the basement level; enter from the back of the church.
4545 Island Crest Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040
March 2 , 2019 - Annual election for club officers + Olson Hi-Fi visiting the club
Time: 1:00pm – 4:30pm *******Note that we start at 1pm
Place: Mercer Island Congregational Church (usual club meeting location)
• Annual election for club officers: We need nominees for president, VP and treasurer roles. Plan to attend with your nominations and also vote!
• Olson Hi-Fi will be visiting the club, bringing exciting audio gear: The new Krell K-300i integrated stereo amplifier, and Roksan analog gear from UK. You don’t want to miss it!
Olson’s Hi-Fi would like to present 3 products from the brands they offer:
• KRELL K-300i Integrated amp ( maybe also KRELL 300 Duo XD and Illusion Pre amp )
• Roksan Radius 7 Turntable
• Monitor Audio Gold 300 Gen 5 speakers
From the Manufacturers
Krell K-300i - Integrated Stereo Amplifier
The K-300i incorporates a newly developed amplifier circuit design with Krell iBias™ technology that delivers 150 Watts/Channel into 8Ω and 300 Watts/Channel into 4Ω. iBias provides the sonic benefits of Class A operation without the excessive heat and power consumption of traditional Class A designs.
A 771VA transformer with 80,000μF of capacitance forms a potent power supply for excellent signal control and dynamics. Krell Current Mode topology is employed with fully differential circuitry that runs from the input stage through to the last output gain stage providing an extremely linear and extended frequency response curve with smooth, effortless highs and extremely dynamic bass energy.
With the digital option installed the K-300i becomes a world class DAC. An ESS Sabre Pro DAC configured for high current output performs the digital to analog signal conversion for uncompromised reproduction of digital music. A network streaming audio renderer with dedicated mobile App plays AAC, ALAC, AIFF, FLAC, WAV, WMA, and DoP files up to 192kHz/24-bit from UPnP music servers or NAS devices. The digital option with the mconnect Control app also provides Spotify*, vTuner Internet radio, Tidal*, Deezer*, and QoBuz* streaming services, is Roon Ready* and decodes MQA.
Roksan Radius 7 Turntable
A stunning combination of style and technology the Radius 7 Turntable and optional NIMA Tonearm delivers the ultimate contemporary vinyl playing experience that takes aesthetic appeal, technical performance and musicality to a new level.
The Radius 7’s 20 mm thick acrylic plinths have a 'glass-like' look that is not only visually stunning but contributes towards excellent sonic performance.
It uses an advanced motor/PCB assembly with electronic speed selection. The motor and PCB uses Roksan’s flagship technology. This very high-quality crystal speed control system maintains pitch-perfect speed stability for both 33 and 45 RPM irrespective of voltage variations. The Radius 7 can be purchased with or without the latest-generation hand built NIMA tonearm.
• Isolation units (isolation without suspension)
• Super-accurate crystal speed control system
• Electronic switching between speeds (33 and 45 RPM)
• High-quality aluminium alloy pulley system
• Stylish new ‘glass effect' acrylic plinths
• Red and blue LED illumination to signify speed
Nima Tone Arm
The unique design of the transit locking mechanism of the bearing assembly not only provides a safe transportation method, but also avoids damage if the tonearm is accidentally lifted off its bearing. The counterweight is decoupled and designed to mount off-centre, allowing easy Azimuth correction. The inclusion of VTA adjustment provides optimum alignment for almost any cartridge.
The combination of polished acrylic headshell, silver anodised aluminium tubing and mirror chromed counterweight enhances NIMA's looks and conveys the true lightness and neutrality of this very special arm.
• Unipivot design for optimum detail retrieval
• Ten individual machined parts
• Aluminium alloy and stainless steel construction
• Transit locking mechanism
• Decoupled high quality counterweight
• Anti-skate mechanism
The Corus2 is the latest generation Corus moving magnet cartridge from Roksan.
It features a new “VM” magnet arrangement where there is one small magnet for each channel for increased detail and channel separation and a Shibata stylus profile. It is finished in a stylish modern aesthetic with a flip down stylus guard for extra protection.
• Twin magnets in V arrangement for improved channel separation
• Shibata Stylus Profile - Incredible detail retrieval and projection across the full frequency spectrum
• Rigid Aluminum Body - Low resonance and high shielding
• Integral fold-down stylus guard for protection and peace of mind
Monitor Audio Gold 300 Gen 5
Gold 300 is the pinnacle of the range. Its deceptively large cabinet houses a 2½" (64 mm) C-CAM mid-range driver with a MPD high-frequency transducer above and a pair of 8" (203 mm) RDT II bass drivers below, in a true three-way arrangement.
Also featuring a pair of rear-facing HiVe II ports delivering smooth airflow and ample bass reinforcement, Gold 300 is the ideal speaker for larger rooms. Its punch and dynamism are matched only by its subtlety and fidelity – Gold 300’s effortless authority, from a crisp 50 kHz at the top end to an earth-moving 30 Hz at the bottom, makes it perfect for any and all listening requirements.
• MPD high frequency transducer – articulate, extended high frequencies, yet supremely smooth
• Dual 8" bespoke bass drivers, featuring:
o – RDT II Cone technology – specially developed Sandwich cone technology using thin C-CAM, Nomex honeycomb core and woven carbon fibre back skin to return incredible stiffness, yet light and well damped
• Dual HiVe II ports – improved transient response and tighter bass, due to smoother air-flow
• Pureflow silver-plated OFC copper internal cabling – highest quality transfer through the signal chain
• Soft touch top trim – giving a luxurious, premium quality furniture grade touch and appearance
• Single-bolt-through driver technology – providing increased bracing strength, rigidity and driver/baffle de-coupling
• Bespoke magnetic grilles – clean visual styling, virtually acoustically transparent
• Custom-made, high-quality gold plated bi-wire terminals
• Sturdy cast metal out-rigger feet with spike or rubber foot for carpet or hard flooring – provides more attractive appearance and takes up less floor space
System Format: 3-way
Frequency Response (-6 dB): 30 Hz – 50 kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M): 90 dB
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Minimum Impedance: 3.5 Ohms @ 1 kHz
Maximum SPL: 117 dBA (Pair)
Power Handling (RMS): 250 W
Recommended Amplifier Requirements: 100 – 250 W
Bass Alignment: Bass Reflex
Dual HiVe II port system
L.F/ M.F: 650 Hz
M.F/ H.F: 3 kHz
Drive Unit Complement
2 x 8" RDT II long-throw bass driver
1 x 21/2" C-CAMmid-range driver
1 x MPD high-frequency transducer
External Dimensions (Including Grille and Terminals (H x W x D))
1000 x 240 x 360.6 mm (393/8 x 97/16 x 143/16")
External Dimensions (including Outrigger Feet and Spikes (H x W x D))
1047 x 327.8 x 417.8 mm (411/4 x 127/8 x 167/16")
30.56 kg (67 lb 4 oz)
• Save the date – Upcoming Meetings:
• April 6 – Geoff Cole 3-D printed speaker design
• May 4 – Meridian DSP system
• June 1 – DAC shootout, including Halo Spring DAC, SMSL SU-8, and a few others…
• July 6 – Summer Social
• August 10 – DIY event